Eros and Aphrodite ring is a 14k yellow gold ring (one of a kind) that has been hand-sculpted with the vines of a tree and forest floor essence. Talon prongs clasp a 5.6 carat vintage portrait cut aquamarine. Pink sapphires adorn the branches that encircle its oceanic scrying nature.
This is one of my favorite rings I’ve made. A special water mirror-like pool with the underworld of roots and leaves on each side (an ode to grounding in all things natural/spiritual). As I send my roots down into the earth…all the same, I immerse myself in the salt and sea. I am of the earth, I am in the sky, I am the fire that consumes, I am the water that replenishes. I am love, I am known.
This piece features a large antique aquamarine (Pisces birthstone). Pisces is the Latin word for “fish” and in Greek mythology, this constellation represents the koi fish that saved Aphrodite and Eros from a sea monster. Pisces is a sign of creative imaginings, change, and adaptation, being a time between winter and spring. The pink sapphires in this ring represent Aphrodite. One story tells that Aphrodite (also Venus) and her son Eros (also Cupid) escaped by way of a fish, Pisces, in order to escape the monster Typhon.
- This ring is currently a size 8, but we can resize it for you prior to shipping. We can resize this ring in-house complimentary to you down to size 6 and up to size 10 (quarter/half/whole sizes; please see the resizing info below)...possibly a bit further (please use our Contact page to inquire).
RESIZING INFO (for the finished ready-to-ship ring in the photos): complimentary in-house resizing up or down takes approx. 14-16 business days to complete as it is not a fast process and takes several hours (sometimes a full day) of careful work. Please select your ring size from the drop-down menu.
- Focal gemstone: one of a kind vintage 5.6ct natural aquamarine in a modified portrait oval cut (although, mostly water clear, this stone has a few small pits/flaws as it is a vintage stone; these are visible under high magnification of macro photography as pictured)
- About aquamarine: Aquamarine is the Pisces birthstone (those with birthdays in March). A 7.5–8 on the mohs scale of hardness (diamond is the hardest gemstone at a 10; sapphire comes in at a 9; Aquamarine is durable for every day wear, but must be protected from hard knocks and scratching. Caring for your ring will ensure it can be worn for years to come). Some say that aquamarine symbolizes purity, releases fear/calms nerves, helps with decision making, provides protection, and renders soldiers invisible in battle. Aquamarine's name means "sea water" so it is most often associated with water. It is a type of beryl (other types of beryl include morganite and emerald). Aquamarine gets its blue hue from traces of iron in the mineral.
- Accent gemstones: eight 1.5mm approx. natural pink/fuscia sapphires are flush-set into the vines surrounding the center stone
- Several of our wedding bands will stack well with this ring, if desired. Please contact me when purchasing if you'd like a wedding band recommendation.
- All Knot & Splice gemstones are carefully sourced
Band width (not including vines/setting): 2.4–3.16mm (Widest in front where the side leaves are)
- Setting (including the vines and stone setting): 19.82mm x 18.09mm x 10.2mm (depth)
- Band thickness: 1.5–2.2 (not including the leafy part of ring)
- Currently a polished finish (can be finished with a matte/brushed finish...please note, as you wear the ring, it will burnish and become more polished with time); polishing and brushed finishes will wear as they are loved and worn.
- 14K yellow gold (we use recycled milled metals)
- hallmarked "14K" and signed with the artist's initials on the inside band
- all the gemstones we use are ethically sourced from reputable gem dealers
General shipping details:
- There is only one ready-to-ship ring (finished photographed ring). Please see our current processing times on the FAQ page
- SHIPPING within the US: this fine jewelry order will be fully insured in the US via Third Party insurance (not noted on the outside of the package) with a signature required for delivery. There is no need to purchase additional insurance.
- International shipping: please select UPS expedited, USPS Priority Mail, or Priority Mail Express for this item. Your package will be shipped with full third-party insurance and a signature required.
Please note: While every effort is made to photograph the items to be an accurate representation, photography and computer monitors have limitations and differences. These images were taken with a Canon DSLR and macro lens (this shows much more detail than the eye can see). Colors and brightness may vary on different devices. I believe these pieces look so much prettier in person when held in the hand and admired by the eye (I've also been told this many times by Knot & Splice customers). I hope you're delighted when you receive your special piece.