The Nathaira ring is a one of a kind toi et moi ("you and me") sapphire ring with a hand-carved organic cathedral style band with my signature twisting vines and two snakes that encircle the sapphires. One snake is slightly elevated, the divine masculine and feminine energies represented.
About this snake piece: "Nathaira" is a Scottish name for snake. Snakes symbolize change, protection, and transformation (releasing setbacks and disappointments and transforming that energy into something positive). It is said wearing snake jewelry can bring one closer to personal transformation. Snakes teach us that we must shed our skin oft times in life (though change is one of the most difficult things for us).
Snake jewelry became more widespread in the 1840s after Queen Victoria received a stunning serpent engagement ring from Prince Albert. She announced it as a symbol of eternal love and commitment. It also became a symbol of wisdom and was widely incorporated into pieces of jewelry such as rings and brooches during this time period.
However, it is very important to note that snake motifs in art and jewelry is an ancient practice and has been used throughout time in various cultures around the world.
About "toi et moi": "Toi et moi" is French for "you and me". This twin snake ring is my take on the classic toi et moi ring (that traces back to the 17th century) with two gemstones that represent lovers side by side. Contrasting gemstones are often used, and this is my organic and completely original version of it.
This ring was first hand-carved in wax and then cast as a one of a kind piece directly into 14K gold. This ring is truly one of a kind, although we may be able to create a piece for you like it with different gemstones via our custom page. This piece is designed so that a half-round band can stack with it. You can see a phot of our wider Ethereal ring paired with it in the photos (we'd be happy to make an even wider band to accompany this ring, if you wish).
Custom version?: We can recreate this design with the exact same size gemstones but any gemstone pairing that we are able to source. Would you like two different birthstones? Two natural diamonds? Two of the same color of sapphires? One alexandrite and one sapphire? Please email us for a customized version: nicole (at) knotandsplice.com or use our Contact form here.
- size 5.5 (complimentary resizing prior to shipping is available for this ring; this ring can be resized from US ring sizes 4–7.5)(quarter/half/whole sizes).
- RESIZING INFO (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY): complimentary in-house resizing takes 14 business days to complete as it is not a fast process and takes several hours of careful work. Please select the desired ring size from the drop-down menu).
- 14K yellow gold (we use recycled milled precious metals)
- one of a kind heirloom ring perfect for ceremonial and every day wear
- Gemstones: 0.71ct Australian teal/parti/bicolor sapphire and 0.67ct pink Madagascar sapphire (total carat weight of the sapphires is 1.38ct)
- Setting dimensions: 15.8mm x 18.9mm x 4.5mm
- Band dimensions (excluding the setting): 2.12–6.8mm width (varies due to sculptural nature of ring); 1.9–5.9mm thickness (varies due to sculptural vines on the sides of the ring)
- Matching band needed?: this ring will look best paired with a wider band like the Ethereal ring or a wider custom half-round band; feel free to email us for a custom fit wedding band (preferred matching bands should be under 2.4mm thickness to fit well with this ring)
- Textures/finish: The handmade textures which really add so much to this special piece give this ring a less shiny look, although it is currently at a high polish. We can give it a matte/brushed finish if you select this option in the drop-down menu.
- hallmarked "14K" and signed NJM (Nicole Jo Melton) on the inside of band
- Please see care instructions: FAQ/Policies page in the menu
- Ready-to-ship (if requesting resizing, please add an extra 14 business days for resizing). This item is completely one-of-a-kind. You are purchasing the pictured sapphire ring. Your ring will be carefully packaged inside a beautiful Knot & Splice gift box. Please see current processing times on our FAQ/Policies page. If you'd like to place an order for a similar bespoke piece, please see our Bespoke page for process/details.
- SHIPPING within the US: this order will be fully insured in the US via Third Party insurance (not noted on the outside of the package) with a signature required for delivery. No extra insurance is necessary when purchasing this item by itself.
- International shipping: please select Priority Mail or Priority Mail Express for shipping of this item. Your ring will be shipped with full third party insurance and a signature required.
Please note: While every effort is made to photograph the items to be an accurate representation, photography and computer monitors have limitations and differences. These images were taken with a Canon DSLR and macro lens (this shows much more detail than the eye can see). Colors and brightness may vary on different devices. I believe these pieces look so much prettier in person when held in the hand and admired by the eye (I've also been told this many times by Knot & Splice customers). I hope you're delighted when you receive your special piece in the mail.