- size 8 ring set of 2 rings as pictured (no resizing; the opal ring is meant to be worn above the eye ring (it is made slightly larger so that it can be stacked comfortably together)
making process: the eye ring face was hand sculpted and carved by the artist in her studio making each piece one of a kind (not molded, not cast...you are purchasing the actual miniature eye sculpture).
Once carved, the piece was torch fired to high heat.
After being cooled and cleaned, a wash of 22K gold was applied using the keum-boo method (keum-boo is an ancient gilding technique where high karat gold is bonded to a fine silver surface). The piece was then torch fired again, melding both metals together.
The ring was metalsmithed to correspond, engraved, and a matching crown opal ring (with stippled texture) was made to be worn with it.
- the inside eye ring band is hallmarked “925” for sterling silver and "22K" for 22K gold; the opal ring is solid sterling silver and is hallmarked "925"
purple Sterling lab opal: Sterling cultured opal stone—Sterling opal is a cultured opal made in Arizona. Although Sterling is a cultured opal, it is made in a lab using silica nano and mono particles (the same way a natural, mined opal is made in the earth). Under a microscope, GIA confirms that Sterling opal has the same characteristics and composition to natural opal, making it a true, GIA certified synthetic opal. No colorants are used in the stone—the process itself is a natural process and the color you see in the stone is from light refraction (not dye). Developed by the inventor of the Zachary treatment (a stabilization method for natural turquoise) and the owner of the Sleeping Beauty mine, Sterling opals have been in the making for many years. The process of growing the opals is lengthy! Knot & Splice is truly honored to be using these high-quality webbed opals in our works as American-mined opals are extremely rare (very expensive) and often brittle when available.
- handmade in Kansas City, MO by Nicole Jo Melton
- Please see care instructions on the FAQ/Policies page
- ready-to-ship (please see our FAQ/Policies page for processing time. This ring set is unique and cannot be resized. It will arrive carefully wrapped inside of a gilded Knot & Splice gift box.
Please note: While every effort is made to photograph the items to be an accurate representation, photography and computer monitors have limitations and differences. Colors and brightness may vary on different devices. I believe these pieces look so much prettier in person when held in the hand and admired by the eye (I've also been told this many times by Knot & Splice customers). I hope you're delighted when you receive your special piece in the mail.