- One of a kind rings: sizes 5 and 8 (no resizing)
- Delicate hand-sculpted fine silver settings with 22K yellow gold overlay with embedded Arizona (Ant Hill) ruby red garnets and set on a double-split sterling silver ring band
- Process for how this piece was made: Each setting was hand sculpted and carved and then torch fired (with the natural garnet in place). It's one of a kind (not cast from a mold)—an original artwork. An ancient gilding technique called keum-boo has been used to apply a thick layer of 22K yellow gold foil to the fine silver surface. The gold is layered onto the surface, heated, and then burnished into the silver—this process creates a permanent diffusion bond.
- About the stones: raw semi-tumble polished natural ruby red garnets mined from Ant Hill, Arizona. The stone are embedded in the metal and fired in place. They have retained the raw, imperfect look of rough stones. Garnets were used in Victorian era jewelry often and this piece has an intentional ancient/elegant look.
- Fun fact about Anthill garnets: “They are called ‘ant hill garnets’ because they are found on and around the margins of ant hills. The ants encounter the garnets while excavating their underground passages. The ants haul the stones to the surface and discard them. The rain washes the garnets clean and moves them down the flank of the ant hill, where they can accumulate in large numbers. This concentrates the little gems and makes them easy for people to collect. Their brilliant luster and red color contrasts strongly with the surrounding soil.” (Geology.com) Because of the process for which these stones are “mined” and collected, Anthill garnets are only used in small batch and handmade jewelry (and not commercially mass produced because the number of stones collected is low in number). They’re truly unique!
- the back of the ring faces are carved with "NM" (signature for Nicole Melton); the inside of the ring band is stamped with "22K" and "925" for metal purity
- Care: sterling silver will gain natural patina over time when left unworn (unwanted oxidization can be removed with a polishing cloth—please see our FAQ/Policies page for care instructions), but we recommend you store this piece in a sealed plastic bag and inside a jewelry box to preserve the polished look. Wearing your ring often will also prevent unwanted oxidization.
- handmade in beautiful Kansas City, MO by Nicole Jo Melton
- Ready-to-ship. Each ring is completely one-of-a-kind. You are purchasing the pictured item (in the size of your choosing). Your item will be carefully packaged inside a Knot & Splice gift box. Please see current processing times for both made-to-order and ready-to-ship items on our FAQ/Policies page.
Please note: While every effort is made to photograph the items to be an accurate representation, photography and computer monitors have limitations and differences. Colors and brightness may vary on different devices. I believe these pieces look so much prettier in person when held in the hand and admired by the eye (I've also been told this many times by Knot & Splice customers). I hope you're delighted when you receive your special piece in the mail.