Artist notes on this piece:
REGARD - an ode to Victorian symbolism in acrostic jewelry. Each gemstone in this piece represents a letter to spell out Regard. Top left in a circular motion (it also follows the pattern of Fibonacci spiral which is found in nature):
(R)uby, (E)merald, (G)arnet, (A)quamarine, (R)uby, (D)iamond
The idea of acrostic jewelry started in the Georgian era, but French jeweler Mellerio introduced acrostic rings as a token of one’s love. The stones are usually set in a row.
Empress Marie Louise had multiple acrostic bracelets made to represent the love between Napoleon and herself. Secret messages of love were created with gemstones in pieces worn throughout these periods.
This is my take on that idea. To regard is such a deep term for love, I think. For someone to regard you, it means they admire, respect, care for, hold in high estimation your entire being…maybe the word “love” is thrown around so much that it doesn’t always make us feel respected, seen, heard, admired. Regard is such a subdued word, it’s like the most librarian sounding word at first glance. But back in the day, it held a lot of meaning. Give me regard or give me death …none of this hallmark card love stuff. 🗡
At first glance, it looks like a gem collection made by aliens…but the hidden meaning is here. It is between lovers. Hand fabricated in 14K gold from recycled gold scraps from my studio and engraved and set stones with my ancient lore textures.
I recently found an old photo in my family tree of my 6th great aunt Gracie that is the epitome of Victorian style. I wish these old photos could tell all the stories, though…the hopes, dreams, what people liked to do. What people liked to think about. I spend so much of my mental energy thinking about it. I like to believe I’m folding a bit of personal history into each piece and it makes for an extra layer of coding for those who want to feel its magic and warmth.
- Hand fabricated and one of a kind
- Pendant dimensions (not including jump ring): 10.8 x 15.7 mm
- Gemstones: earth mined rubies, emerald, aquamarine, garnet and diamond (largest gemstone is 3mm, smallest is 1.5mm)
- 18" 14/20 gold-filled 1.5mm thick rolo chain with lobster clasp
- optional: there is the option to add on a solid 14K gold chain instead of the gold-filled chain (see pricing in drop-down menu)
- hallmarked "14K" for 14K gold purity and signed "NJM" for the artist's signature on the back
- Care: please see our FAQ page (you should remove your jewelry before swimming, showering, sleeping, exercising, etc. to protect your investment); please be careful with delicate chains. They shouldn't be worn to sleep in. If concerned, please select a thicker chain.
- handmade in beautiful Missouri by Nicole Jo Melton
- Ready-to-ship. This item is completely one-of-a-kind. You are purchasing the pictured item (pendant with chain). Your pendant will be carefully packaged inside a Knot & Splice fine jewelry gift box. Please see current processing times for both made-to-order and ready-to-ship items on our FAQ/Policies page.
- This piece will be fully insured without needing to purchase additional insurance.
Please note: While every effort is made to photograph the items to be an accurate representation, photography and computer monitors have limitations and differences. Colors and brightness may vary on different devices. I believe these pieces look so much prettier in person when held in the hand and admired by the eye (I've also been told this many times by Knot & Splice customers). I hope you're delighted when you receive your special piece in the mail.