Our Antioch ring is based on our Aila snake ring but to be worn as a minimal band or stacking ring. A hand-formed body has been fused and detailed by hand and then cast immortal. Each ring is customized to order (other than the one ready to ship ring). You may add diamonds to the eyes if you choose!
Antioch is a sweet snake friend that stays open but strong, perhaps symbolizing that change is always possible. That no bad feeling is forever. That people may come and go, but it is our strength and grace that allows us to remain open to new blessings of beauty and love. Snakes symbolize change, protection, and transformation (releasing setbacks and disappointments and transforming that energy into something positive).
It is said wearing snake jewelry can bring one closer to personal transformation. Snakes teach us that we must shed our skin oft times in life (though change is one of the most difficult things for us).
Snake jewelry became more widespread in the 1840s after Queen Victoria received a stunning serpent engagement ring from Prince Albert. She announced it as a symbol of eternal love and commitment. It also became a symbol of wisdom and was widely incorporated into pieces of jewelry such as rings and brooches during this time period.
However, it is very important to note that snake motifs in art and jewelry is an ancient practice and has been used throughout time in various cultures around the world.
- 1 ready to ship ring in 14K yellow gold in size 5.5 (this ring can be sized up or down (quarter, half, and whole sizes) from ring sizes 3.5–8.5 (please email other sizing requests: nicole [at] knotandsplice.com); Please note sizing up this ring may create a little bit of a wider gap in the front. Sizing down will mean a slightly smaller gap in the front. This design is open and organic. Please note: if this option is sold out, your ring will be made to order.
- All other options are made to order especially for you; please select your ring size from the drop-down menu as well as your 14k gold selection
- solid 14K gold (we use recycled milled metals—we left a bit of the high raised karat of gold in soldering on this piece (this is called "deplete gilding" where the piece is heated and pickled, and the higher karat gold rises to the surface in a thin top layer)...so it appears much yellower like a higher karat gold; over time, it will patina and wear as 14K gold). We can create your piece in 14K yellow, rose, or palladium white gold
- White gold?: Please note that we only use 14K palladium white gold in place of traditional white gold (contains nickel) as we are a nickel-free studio. Palladium is an alloy that is within the platinum family and is priced at a premium but is a much more hypoallergenic and longer wearing alloy to use in 14K gold than traditional white gold. As such, the price is higher than our 14k rose and yellow gold options.
- Optional: to add 2 tiny VS/GHI diamonds to the eyes (0.60mm size); the diamonds we use are conflict-free and post-consumer/recycled whenever possible; pricing is in the drop-down menu
- Band width: organic shape that undulates, but ranges approx. 2.5–3.75 mm wide
- Band thickness: approx. 1.3–1.9 mm (varies as this ring is organic)
- hallmarked "14K" and "NJM" (maker's signature) inside the ring band
Processing times and care: please see our FAQ page or announcement bar
SHIPPING within the US: your fine jewelry order will be fully insured in the US via Third Party insurance (not noted on the outside of the package) with a signature required for delivery. No need to purchase insurance (we will fully insure).
International shipping: please select Priority Mail or Priority Mail Express and purchase insurance for the full value of the item in the shop. We are not responsible for lost/stolen packages and highly recommend insuring your investment.
--Please note: While every effort is made to photograph the items to be an accurate representation, photography and computer monitors have limitations and differences. These images were taken with a Canon DSLR and macro lens (this shows much more detail than the eye can see). Colors and brightness may vary on different devices. I believe these pieces look so much prettier in person when held in the hand and admired by the eye (I've also been told this many times by Knot & Splice customers). I hope you're delighted when you receive your special piece in the mail.